Thursday, October 21, 2010

"When the day begins to break like the tears that run across your cheek"

Well, this was certainly much longer than I anticipated to make an update. On the bright side, my laptop is finally back! Actually, it has been since Monday, and as of this morning I've got all my programs and updates put back on. It's officially back to the way it used to be. And now that I'm back, it's time for another review.

The next song on this album is "Neverender." Like "Hearshot Kid Disaster" it's without a doubt on the coolest Coheed song titles ever. In fact, it was used as the title for a series of concerts the band performed a couple years ago, but I'll get into that some time later. The first thing I remember noting about this song when I first listened to it was the combination of rhythm and lead. This style has been prevalent in the earlier songs, true, however it was the first time I think I really noticed how common they are in Coheed's music.

Of note is also Mic's bass line. When I had first started listening to Coheed and Cambria, my music library was rather small. Most of the bands I listened to at the time consisted of bass players that generally just played as rhythm to the guitar, often playing the same notes *coughcoughNirvanacoughcough*. This isn't to say such is bad, but I admit that Mic's style of bass is a little refreshing. There are times where his bass grooves match the guitar to keep rhythm, but many times they also have their own notes to play while still keeping in time to the beat.

"Neverender" also consists some of the strongest bit of drumming from Josh Eppard yet. The first sound one will hear on the tune is a snare drum, followed up with some quick hi-hat and snare work. Like the bass guitar, the drums aren't just keeping the beat of the music; they are their own instruments and Josh shows it. What I've really appreciated about this record and this song in particular is how clear I can hear each and every instrument. It's pretty safe to say that I'm not missing anything.

Sadly, however, all of this strong musicianship doesn't seem to do it for me. Though a good song, something about "Neverender" just prevented it from really sticking with me in the same vein as "Junesong Provision", or the penultimate song off the record -- "God Send Conspirator" -- really do.

After "Junesong," it's clear this song is somewhat softer. Claudio's singing adds to this effect with lower vocals, some of which sound like a whisper at certain moments. With that said, the song revolves around Coheed and Cambria's son Claudio, who has fled his home world. By this point, Coheed and Cambria are dead (by exactly what means I still don't really know and won't until I get the comics). Unaware of their fates, Claudio writes them a note just before leaving. In contemplating the tragic events that have befallen his family he considers suicide before eventually falling asleep, vowing to someday take revenge.

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers