Saturday, October 9, 2010

"The scare that triggers your fear"

Back with another review tonight! I apologize out front that I'm not able to get a review going at least once a day like I had hoped, but unfortunately with my laptop still having issues this is proving difficult. The only reason I'm able to be here now is because I'm using my brother's computer. So, kudos to him. Anyway, enough of my rambling.

Remember when I said there wasn't a single Coheed and Cambria song I didn't like? Well, I meant that. I also said that in spite of liking every song, there are some I don't like as much as others and would probably willingly skip over. I meant that as well. Thus, the moment has come for me to review what is one of my least favorite Coheed songs.

I realize this could get me a lot of shit and would irk many, as "Delirium Trigger" is very much a fan favorite and some would say it's one of the best songs of Coheed's career. I will point out that the only time this song doesn't do it for me is when I'm listening to the album version of it. I'm sorry, it just doesn't. I suppose the problem is that I loved the first three tracks so much and thought that were so upbeat that the intro to this song kills me a bit. Forgive me. HOWEVER, I again stress that I still like the song, and sing along to it when I'm in the mood for listening. That being said, this sing kicks a lot of ass when played live. I've been to three Coheed shows so far and the first time I heard it live -- not including watching videos of the song -- was at my most recent show. The simple answer is that it blew me away. It sounds epic, heavy, and so much better live.

Putting aside the music of the song, I will admit that the lyrics are some of the most unusual thus far in the album, and that's unusual in a good way. First, they're just plain awesome:

"Systems malfunction, blast it this damn machine/Over and out captain"
"You made a good friend to me but while you were outnumbered
and torn you made us do thing
s"
"Come know me as god!"

Aside from just sounding badass, there's also the imagery behind the lyrics. Lines such as "Static on the intercom, can someone save us?" and "Parasitic cyst, I can't stand to watch/It's coming up and out of your chest" clearly invoke science fiction imagery, and thus is keeping with the concept behind the story. It should be noted that "Delirium Trigger" was first written by Claudio Sanchez when the band was called Shabutie (which is uttered by Claudio in the opening to "Devil in Jersey City"). At that time, the concept of Coheed and Cambria was actually a side project of Claudio's, and if my knowledge serves me correctly, the song had little to do with the story elements of The Amory Wars. However, it was re-worked into the concept.

The song has good and bad moments for me. I don't feel I could explain it well enough; I suppose it's just one of those moments where it just doesn't seem to work. Nevertheless, the song remains a favorite among many. I feel comforted knowing that even if it doesn't satisfy me it satisfies the majority, and that's what matters. Though it's no where close to my favorites, I would eagerly look forward to hearing this song again at a concert.

1 comments:

Kate Weber said...

Great review, as always! The lines in this song are definitely interesting and epic. I like it. I'll have to go and listen to it now.

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers