Monday, October 11, 2010

"Send me justice and I'll have Paris in flames"

I may need to start doing a couple of these a day, because at this rate I won't be done until next year -- but then again, it would mean keeping me busy if I only posted one a day. Anyway, it's time to move on with this song review series. Next on our list is "Hearshot Kid Disaster" -- quite possibly one of the coolest song titles ever. Not only when I hear this title do I feel that shit has hit the fan, I also feel like headbanging every time I hear this track.

In the sixth song off SSTB, our heroes Coheed and Cambria (the characters) are now on a quest to dismantle the Red Army, the villain Wilhelm Ryan's personal iron fist. They realized they've been lied to, the memories of their former lives have returned, and it's now time to take the fight to Ryan himself and end the threat to Heaven's Fence once and for all. Unfortunately, their quest is marred by capture. The two are confined and held hostage, and something even worse is about to unfold. Coheed has been feeling the effects of the Monstar, a terrible virus that, when triggered, would spell certain doom for Heaven's Fence and mark the eradication all life.

And like some other songs off this record, it's amazing how Coheed and Cambria (the band) can take something as violent as this and make it sound upbeat and catchy. I know I've been repeating that a lot in these reviews, but it's true. The opening chug of the guitar and the subsequent noisy lead in the first 30 seconds of the song offer a slight contrast to the softer sounding "Delirium Trigger." The lyrics reflect this in a way:

"Wound open and squeezing my heart against this pain inflicts
and in passion I bleed for it
"

I've never heard the song live before, save for what can be found on YouTube. It's quite spectacular, and the opening lead is even more noticeable live. It's safe to say that even though the song sounds upbeat, it was meant to be chaotic, reflecting the violence and madness that's depicted in this part of the story. The simplest answer that can be said about this song is that shit is getting real and all is going to hell, a perfect segue into the next song: "33."

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers