Saturday, December 18, 2010

"I would've figured you out way before the year clocked out"



If, after watching that video, you aren't currently asking yourself "What the fucking hell did I just see?" I would be surprised. This is probably the strangest music video Coheed and Cambria has ever done. For a long time, I didn't get it and I also wondered if it had anything to do with the story at hand. Now, you'll find that several of Coheed's music videos don't in fact have much to do with the story. Whether this one does or doesn't is speculative at best, but given the relationship between the centaur and the mermaid in the above video, I think it can still reflect the concept well enough.

Simply put, the relationship between the centaur and the mermaid reflects the relationship between the Writer and Erica Court, albeit not nearly as traumatic and twisted. The inability of the centaur and mermaid to be together mirrors the Writer and Erica's broken relationship. Thus, the video still manages to fit into the story.

It's also possible I'm thinking too much and that the connection between the video and The Amory Wars is coincidental *shrug*. Anyway, moving on...

"The Suffering" is the second single off this album. In comparison to the first single -- "Welcome Home" -- this song has a bouncier, pop feeling to it; though again, it's pop in the sense it's catchy and upbeat in the way Michael Jackson is pop, and not Britney Spears kind of pop. Understand that difference. For a single, however, "The Suffering" remains true to the madness and dark atmosphere of the album by incorporating heavy lyrics. Coming directly after the soft ballad of "Wake Up," this song is the climactic turning point in the concept. With such a fitting title, the Writer begins to truly, truly understand the control he has over his story. His anger, frustration, hatred, and all things negative directed toward Erica are consuming him to the point he now realizes what he must do, what he WILL do to end his madness. And he is going to do it. The ending is almost here, folks.

I've never been much of a huge fan of this song. It's not one of my favorite singles nor one of my favorite Coheed tracks. For some reason, it never hooked me quite in the way the rest of the album did. It's far from a bad song, however. As usual, the band members prove themselves adept musicians and Claudio especially a talented songwriter and lyricist. The jumpy hooks of the guitars and the groovy bass lines are more than enough to warrant this song a single, even in spite of its twisted roots.

I only remember hearing this song played live once, and it was at my most recent Coheed concert experience back in August. I had to admit, I didn't expect to hear it, given that I figured the guys would focus more on songs from the most recent record. However, I was quite pleased to hear "The Suffering." The greatest thing about Coheed and Cambria, for me, is how no song ever sounds too bland or lame to me. Some aren't as hooky or memorable as others are, but I've never disliked a single Coheed tune. This is a good example of how and why these guys have been my favorite musicians for so long. Whether it's through a record or a live performance, every song brings something new and exciting.

This is it. There is no turning back.

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers