Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Do you remember why you did it?"

I've got another double feature tonight, another set of back to back reviews! Next up on the review series is track number seven -- "Once Upon Your Dead Body."

This is going to be a shorter review. For such an awesome title as "Once Upon Your Dead Body," the song seems to be lacking in a lot of other areas where previous songs really succeeded. For me, this song is one of those where the story becomes the main focus, rather than Claudio having drawn from his own life and experiences. With that comes a simple and to the point narrative. Like all Coheed songs, I don't dislike it, but after the first six tracks this song just seems to feel strange and out of place. That's just coming from a musical side though. Suffice to say it's one of my least favorite tracks off the record -- even tying with "Mother May I".

The only part of the song I really love is the ending, where Claudio belts out "Once upon your dead body" in sync with "I hope you die right now!" The song ends with a really nice bit of synthesizer. It's obvious what this song is about, and once I learned of its relevance to the story I had to admit that the concept was starting to become redundant. The Writer is still in pain over losing Erica thanks to her infidelity. Big surprise, huh? It's clear that's what it represents just given the lyrics.

The song does feature the return of Ten Speed, however. The demonic bicycle is back to continue his campaign of convincing the Writer to kill off Ambellina to ease his own suffering. Though the Writer now realizes the true extent of his control over his story, he is still struggling with the idea of killing off a beloved character.

I really should do better. Again, it's not that this is a bad song. Quite the opposite. I just feel it pales after coming after such tracks as "Welcome Home," "Ten Speed (Of God's Blood & Burial)," and "Apollo I: The Writing Writer." Let's move on.

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers