Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Enough is enough!

I've never understood this mentality professors (or any schoolteacher) seems to have when it comes to the end of the school semester -- that mentality that says "Hey, students, in spite of the fact you've most likely got tons of finals to study for, I'm going to assign a massive project and/or extra homework due on the day of the final."

I'm not talking about semester-long projects in which you had all semester to finish it (I'm a procrastinator, but I know full well not to be stupid enough to leave a giant project waiting until a day before it's due). I really mean those moments where professors will schedule homework assignment after homework assignment, or even some last minute project that requires a week of work on it before it's done. Why do they do this?

I don't mean to be complaining too much, because it's not as if I'm suddenly running out of time to finish my work -- on the contrary, as of tomorrow morning when I take my last exam, I'm officially done with the semester -- but as a college student who's exactly one full semester away from graduation, I feel like I can speak for most students who are sick of this sort of thing. While I may not be a professor, and therefore am not in a position to really judge the amount of work they have to do, they should also consider our own position. I've had several professors who say they hate the amount of grading they have to do at the end of the semester.

Well, I have a decent solution... instead of bombarding us with last minute busywork that really does not teach us anything, let us worry about actually learning the material at hand to pass our final. After all, isn't that what education is about? That's all I'm saying.

To all students out there, good luck with whatever final stretch of the semester you've got.

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers