Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Project is Underway...

It's about time that I started what I intended this blog to be used for. There really are so many things I want to do for this blog; from posting artwork to writing reviews, and from discussing serious topics to just being random. It's an all-things blog, really.

I'm excited to say that I'm officially starting my first song review. Well, actually, it's the first of about eighty or so reviews, so I have a lot of work ahead of me. I'm by no means limiting myself to music I only like -- in fact, if this thing gets off its feet, I'd even take requests, regardless of whether I enjoy the song or not. Anyway, onto the good stuff.

Those people that know me know that I'm an avid fan of Coheed and Cambria, a progressive rock group hailing from the suburbs of New York State. I've been a fan since the release of their third album in 2005 and the following years have only seen my growth as a fan. I haven't been to as many shows as others have, and I'm by no means a collector of their comics (though I've been considering it lately). Yet, these guys have risen to become my favorite artist. Part of me believes they'll be up there for a long, very long time. From the first time I listened to the heavy, slow "Welcome Home" to the eerie ballad of "Pearl of the Stars," this has been a fantastic journey. Therefore, it seems quite appropriate for me to begin this series of music reviews with this band. I'm planning on reviewing every song off every album (not including demos, though I may tackle those later). For every album, I will post a short opinion on what I think of the record. Subsequent posts will be about each song until I get to the next album, and so on and so on.

For those who aren't familiar with the band, there are five records. Each record is a concept album, each telling a chapter of a story known as The Amory Wars, a science-fiction epic written by the band's front man, Claudio Sanchez. The first four records make up the second, third, and fourth (the third and fourth albums being two volumes of the last) chapters of the story. The fifth album, released in April 2010, acts as the prequel record, the first part of the story. I debated between writing the reviews in the story's chronological order (that is, starting with the prequel record), but the more I thought of it the more it made sense to instead start with the album they released first and progress in that fashion, as it leaves me free to review the band's progression in sound and musicianship. Still, I'll throw in little bits of the story here and there.

Make no mistake; I love this band. There is no single song of theirs I do not like. However, do not be confused. This doesn't mean there isn't a song I would always listen to and wouldn't skip over if I wasn't feeling it. But I advise on the outset that most of my opinions will be positive. They're not going to be all praise and no criticism, I promise that at least. I'm planning on writing a review of each song every day or so, so that I'm not bombarding my blog with posts all at once.

I hope anyone reading enjoys these reviews. I know I'm going to enjoy writing them.

P.S. - Yeah, I lied. This is not my first review. That will be tomorrow. Sorry.

2 comments:

Kate Weber said...

I am excited to hear your thoughts on music. I really do need to check out more Coheed and Cambria stuff.

Kevin said...

Yes, you do. =]

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers