Friday, January 21, 2011

Art Piece #7 - Facing House Atlantic

As if I haven't shown this enough already, Coheed and Cambria have been a big part of my life in the last half decade. From music to books to comics and to art, Claudio Sanchez's story has influenced me and inspired me in many ways.

Since I've been working on the song reviews for No World for Tomorrow, I felt it would be appropriate to show another drawing I did several years ago.

Facing House Atlantic. 14" x 10". Pencil. 2008.

When I created this drawing for my figure drawing class a few years ago. The goal was invoke an emotion in the viewer. My intent was uncertainty and loneliness. As you might notice, this drawing looks very similar to the album cover art for NWFT.


The difference lies in perspective (and also the depiction of House Atlantic, but oh well. The difference in perspective means a great deal. Whereas the album cover looks like Claudio Kilgannon is determined, ready, and certain. The idea for recreating this image in a different perspective makes Claudio look less so. I wanted to show a more vulnerable side to Claudio. A side that, however certain he might be in taking down Wilhelm Ryan, he's still human. There is fear, some uncertainty, and perhaps even a bit of loneliness within Claudio's soul as he realizes he must undertake his quest by himself.

This drawing took a week and a half to finish. It's hard to see, but there's a shrouded sun behind House Atlantic (barely noticeably as nothing more than a curve), House Atlantic itself, and then Claudio. The biggest problem I have with this is the lack of contrast. I was not always great at contrast back then, my professors often brought it up to me.

Either way, I'm proud of the result.

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers