Thursday, January 13, 2011

"There's a hell in all of us"



"The Running Free" was the first song to be released to the public in the lead up to the album's release date. It was also the first single. When this song was released and I first heard it, I knew immediately that the production of the album was going to be different from the previous release. This song was a more upbeat tune than just about anything FFTEM had. In fact, that almost threw me off.

After a few more listens, it grew on me. "The Running Free" was no different from any other Coheed song in that it always took some time before I could truly enjoy it. Claudio's was still taking some time to hook me. I already knew it was high-pitched, but the Running Free was -- at that time -- the highest I'd ever heard it, and would be until I listened to "A Favor House Atlantic." Yeah, I was still stubborn.

I think the best part about this song is Mic's bass line. His opening notes sound like something straight out of a Red Hot Chili Peppers song. It's groovy, and rather contrasts with the riffs played by Claudio and Travis, which are a bit more hard edged. The instrumentals in this whole song are examples of why the album was described as more "experimental" than previous records.

As far as the story is concerned, I'm not entirely sure what's going on. Perhaps it doesn't help that this song was originally written for the film Transformers. According to Claudio Sanchez, he wrote the song for the soundtrack of that film, but it wasn't accepted. However, he wrote it in such a way that it still reflects what's going on in The Amory Wars. The only conclusions I can make is to take into consideration the literal meaning of the song's title.

Following his meeting with Newo and reconciling their differences, Claudio Kilgannon continues on his mission to stop Wilhelm Ryan and destroy the Keywork. My only guess is that he and his friends infiltrate a Red Army base and free some captives. In spite of the fact that everything and everyone dies in the end anyway, at least it's better that they can die free from Ryan's clutches. Yep, that's really the best I can do. No World for Tomorrow is a really obscure and hard to follow album in certain ways, and I don't think I'll fully grasp what's going on in it until the corresponding comics are released. And as that might not be for another couple years, I've got a while before I'll have a better understanding.

My laptop should be back pretty soon, but if I don't manage to get to a post in the next few days, have a great weekend!

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers