Saturday, January 22, 2011

"Now do what you will so it hurts no more"

Every band, at some point in their career, will find that one song (or perhaps more than one) that's the hardest to perform; not because of the song's technical skill, but because of what that song means to the songwriter.

For Coheed and Cambria, or at least Claudio Sanchez -- who writes all the lyrics -- "Justice in Murder" is that song. I'll go ahead and let Claudio himself explain his view:




If you skipped the video entirely (it's only just over a minute, you lazy-ass), I'll reiterate. "Justice in Murder" brings back memories of Claudio's dying aunt. Alzheimer's disease affects many people around the world, and watching anyone go through it is unbearable. I couldn't even imagine what the person with the actual disease feels. Anyway, I digress. But, Claudio's aunt helped Claudio and Travis stay together as a band when they were on the verge of break up due to Mic's and Josh's departures.

Unfortunately, in the eyes of a lot of Coheed and Cambria fans, this song doesn't hold up well. Sadly, I believe I see their point.

"Justice in Murder" sounds like something straight out of a 80s metal album, the difference being Claudio's vocals. It's a very straightforward song that literally follows the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus of generic songs. The riffs are very simple (at least by comparison to the more experimental styles of previous records), the drums don't provide anything that's really noteworthy, and overall the song is just very generic. I would say that most fans of the band have come to expect something, anything more unique. Which is quite sad.

However, the flaws that can be found in "Justice in Murder" don't make it a bad song in my opinion. I liked it from the first moment I heard it. It's a hard edged song that only serves to add to the aggression that the final album of an intense story needs. Plus, the chorus is as catchy as any chorus Coheed has done before.

"There will be justice in murder
There will be justice in murder
Now you've been for me what no other could be
Will I now grow old to forget all those?
Blow all sorrow, goodbye tomorrow
"

As far as the story at hand, it's obvious. To me, Claudio Kilgannon has a final confrontation with Mayo Deftinwolf, Wilhelm Ryan's right hand man and the one ultimately responsible for tearing Claudio's life apart. I see this song merely as Claudio killing Mayo, and justifies his actions because of what Mayo has done. There are other theories going around about what this song means, one even suggesting several killings happen. Whether this is true or not I don't know, and I won't until the comics are released. For now, I just accept that if there's any certain death, it has to be Mayo's.

I apologize for this review really not having much substance. I just feel it's very clear what's going on in this song. It's all too simple to really get into it very much. Stay tuned! "The End Complete" is coming up.

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers