Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"It's better to think about what's ahead than behind"

"The End Complete II: Radio Bye Bye" was a strange song when I first heard it. Well... actually, it's still a strange song. Coming after the mediocre and disappointing song that was "The Fall of House Atlantic," this song shows the full band back on. And coming right after that last one, it's a welcoming change. Time to bring the mood of the album back into a rocking tune.

Part of this strangeness is due to the song having one of the weirdest titles. I couldn't help but wonder what a radio had to do with the story. But then again, what the hell do I know? Coheed and Cambria aren't exactly a normal band by most means. All I know is the song goes on and on about 'curses' and 'radios' and whatnot. It's repetitive and slightly irritating.

But despite the song's obnoxious lyrics, "Radio Bye Bye" is definitely one of the catchiest tunes on No World for Tomorrow. It's incredibly groovy. Just take a listen to the song played live:




The story is incredibly hard to decipher at this stage. Many people believe that Wilhelm Ryan is on the run and Claudio Kilgannon is giving chase. But just where is Ryan running to? Well, I personally believe it's Star IV, or a planet nearby. I mean, this album and the previous are the Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV albums, so there's got to be at least SOME mention of Star IV in this album right? Right?!

Ahem... sorry.

But anyway, that seems the simplest explanation to me. Ryan is fleeing, with the Crowing directly behind him, and the song sounds to me to be coming from Claudio's perspective. The final battle is about to commence.

I don't think too much of "Radio Bye Bye." It's nothing too special. But unlike the previous song, this song is at least catchier and more groovy. It just pales because it comes directly before what I think is the album's best track. "Radio Bye Bye" doesn't rank too high in my list of favorites. It's just lacking, to me, in ways the rest of the "The End Complete" series succeeds at.

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers