Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Album Review - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

Welcome, all of you out there reading this, to the start of my second series of song reviews. First, I apologize for my somewhat long absence from posting. The past week was really rough for me. But, it's all behind me and things are looking up again. I'm determined, I'm motivated, and I'm eagerly looking forward to what's in store for me in the coming days ahead. And thus, I am excited to get back to my little project.

When I last left off, I had finished reviewing the songs from Coheed and Cambria's 2002 debut album The Second Stage Turbine Blade. Keeping with my current project of reviewing this band's music -- due to desiring to explain just why this band is my favorite -- I shall be starting on their next album, 2003's In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3.


Like many of Coheed's songs and records, the names are sometimes long, and this is no different. To stave off repeating such a long title, I will for the most part label the record as IKSSE. I feel this will make things much simpler, yes?

The release of SSTB was a milestone for the band. Though truthfully I hadn't heard of these guys until three years after the release of that record, I compiled together what I know happened during those few years, and it very much seems that Coheed and Cambria were already creating a loyal following that has existed to this day. I've always been a bit envious of those who experienced the band at that early stage of their career; there's something fascinating about watching a group of musicians start out and make it big, rather than join in while they've already taken off. But, I digress.

Suffice to say that while the band was making progress, it was more in the area of their hometown of Nyack, New York. Coheed played various shows and gigs that helped to extend their fanbase even more so. Of course, like all music goes through, the band didn't go without problems. Many were quick to brush off Claudio's vocal style, and others dismissed the entirety of the band's concept and story, thinking it childish. Nevertheless, Coheed pressed on. Following several tour dates that even took them outside the U.S, as well as taking part in the 2002 Vans Warped Tour, the guys began working with manager Blaze James, who would even further expand the band's fanbase and national recognition.

So, when IKSSE was released in fall 2003, it became what is arguably considered one of if not the best record Coheed has ever released. Not in terms of record sales, but in terms of just what it accomplished. Namely, helping to convert even more fans. With such hit singles as "A Favor House Atlantic" -- without a doubt the highest Claudio's vocals were ever recorded -- and "Blood Red Summer" and more hard rock, epic songs like "The Crowing" and the titular "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3," Coheed and Cambria created a style of progressive rock that they have modified but still remained true to in the years that followed this album.

Until 2010's Year of the Black Rainbow, this album remained my favorite even though it wasn't the first one I'd heard. There are many reasons why it's such a crowd pleaser and why it became so successful, which I shall go into more detail in the coming days.

And once again, the track listing:

1. The Ring in Return
2. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
3. Cuts Marked in the March of Men
4. Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow)
5. The Crowing
6. Blood Red Summer
7. The Camper Velourium I: Faint of Hearts
8. The Camper Velourium II: Backend of Forever
9. The Camper Velourium III: Al the Killer
10. A Favor House Atlantic
11. The Light & the Glass
12. 21:13 (Hidden Track) *

*On the CD, 21:13 is track number 23, as "The Light & the Glass" is followed by 12 tracks of absolute silence, cleverly titled as "A Lot of Nothing I-XII."

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers