Thursday, November 11, 2010

Wildlife of the Orange Grove

Last week, I took a trip to the orange grove on my school's south-eastern corner. Supposedly, my campus has one of the last natural orange groves in all of southern California. Regardless of whether this is true or not, I still find the place fascinating. I knew there was an orange grove at the campus long before I even entered college, but I only drove by it. What I didn't know, however, until my second year of college was that the orange grove was also home to a pond that catered to fish, turtles, and a flock of ducks. Since then, I've made many trips to the area for peace and quiet. There's just something about being surrounded by orange trees, hearing the rushing of a water fountain, and seeing the life of the pond that makes the area so tranquil and amazing.

I was walking through the area last week while trying to film one of my digital art class video projects. I wanted someplace comforting and beautiful. Since I was at school, I figured the orange grove would be most perfect. I finished my video, but I also took time as I always do while in the area to walk around the pond and look at the animals.


I HAD to take this picture. In all the times I've been to the orange grove and the pond, the turtles never came any closer to the surface than 5 feet. But this little dude was just hanging right where anyone could walk to the water's edge.

 
I don't blame these ducks for taking shade under the bush. It was really hot that day!


This guy was just sitting there feeding the ducks. I later learned that there's actually a bird feeder in the area. for 25 cents, you can get a pretty large handful of food and feed the ducks (supposedly the fish go for it too). I know what I'm gonna do next time!

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers