Saturday, November 27, 2010

"Good eye, sniper. I'll shoot, you run."

It was sometime in early 2005. I forget the month specifically, but I would guess it to have been March or April. It was at least several months before September, that I know for sure. I was at my friend Robert's house, hanging out, when he called me over to his computer to show me a music video. We watched a near three and a half minutes of what looked like the strangest and weirdest music video we'd ever seen. What boggled me most was that the singer, who appeared to be a male, sounded close to a low-pitched female. I couldn't help myself -- I laughed. I laughed hard and couldn't stop for a while. That was all that was said about this, however. I left Robert's house that day without another word or thought. I passed off this band as a total joke.

Now, five years later, I'm wiser. That was the day I had my first experience with Coheed and Cambria, but I hadn't known it then. All I knew was that it was annoying funny music. As it turned out, the music video was none other than the video to the first single from In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 -- "A Favor House Atlantic." Next to "Welcome Home", off the following record, this song is one of Coheed's most well known; not least because of Claudio's trademark vocal style.

The song's beauty lies in its simplicity -- a standard verse, chorus, bridge format that isn't overdone or underplayed. The band showcases their continued preference for guitar taking the lead in their compositions, but it doesn't completely overshadow the other instruments. Mic plays bass in a simple fashion that helps to keep rhythm. Most of his notes sync completely with Josh's drum work, in fact. Claudio and Travis stick to their preferred roles as rhythm and lead guitarist, respectively. Together, "A Favor House Atlantic" is the catchiest and typical "pop" song of the record. However, it stands alone as unique among pop songs because of its roots in the concept of The Amory Wars.

The journey to House Atlantic -- the headquarters of the Supreme Tri-Mage, Wilhelm Ryan -- has come to an end. The group prepares the task of taking down the villain once and for all. However, for reasons appearing to be nothing else than his own self interests, Al hands over the group to the United Red Army, betraying them. But, Al has not lost his humanity completely. His travels with Ambellina, however short, have shaped his desire for her into a sense of love, however twisted. Guilty over betraying her to Ryan's armies, Al has a change of heart. He uses his sharpshooting skills to pick off soldiers and allows the rest to escape from House Atlantic, knowing their planned surprise attack is useless at this point. Al gives a final farewell to Ambellina, somewhat jokingly saying "Bye bye beautiful, don't bother to write." However brief his appearance may be, it appears that Al has at least a heroic last stand.

And so, yet another attempt to thwart Ryan's twisted plans and save Heaven's Fence has been foiled.

I end this review today with the very music video I first saw five years ago. As I said, it's quite strange indeed.

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers