Monday, November 29, 2010

"But words don't come with ease... they're forever my hurt"

I immediately fell in love with "The Light & the Glass" the first time I heard it. Coheed and Cambria proved on SSTB that they were capable of playing slower acoustic songs, but at that time "IRO-Bot" was a different sort of acoustic style. With this song and in future acoustic songs, the guys showed they could write ballads -- the kind of tunes that bring you chills. The kind of tunes that have that melancholic feeling to them but still retain a quiet beauty. In the first time the guys try out their hand at this sort of style, we receive a near ten minute epic that seems to end the story of In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 nicely.

Following the disaster that was the failed surprise attack on House Atlantic (though you wouldn't immediately know it considering the upbeat, bouncy tune of "A Favor House Atlantic"), Claudio Kilgannon escapes with his uncle Jesse, Ambellina, and the IRO-Bots Chase and Sizer aboard Jesse's ship, the Grail Arbor. Exhausted from their adventure, Claudio contemplates the destiny that lays before him -- the task of saving Heaven's Fence by destroying it. Unwilling and incapable of truly accepting this role, Claudio falls asleep and dreams of the events of ten years prior. He dreams of his girlfriend, Newo Ikkin, whom he had to leave behind when he escaped from Ryan's forces, and wishes he had given her a better goodbye before his life was destroyed. In short, it's a love song.

For some reason, I always picture this song as starting out with the gang sitting down as they play to the first couple minutes. It probably has a lot to do with how the song starts off soft and slow, with Claudio and Travis both playing accompanying lead riffs as Mic and Josh play softer bass lines and drum grooves. As the tempo increases and the distortion kicks in, changing seamlessly from acoustic instruments to electric, I suddenly imagine the full band standing up and rocking out.

The song actually ends before the nine minute mark, with the last minute or so of the song actually playing a rendition of the "time passage" theme as heard on "The Ring in Return." This is probably my only real issue with the song, although it's minor. Much as I love that theme and the rest of the song in particular, it feels slightly out of place with the rest of the song. Just a little side note.

"The Light & the Glass" remains among one of my favorite of all songs, not just Coheed songs. From beginning to end, each moment brings something new to me every time I hear it, mainly because I'm discovering new riffs or bass lines I hadn't heard before. From beginning to end, Claudio's singing gives me chills. From beginning to end, I feel like I'm at peace when I hear this tune. A fitting song to put at the close of the record after so much rocking out.

Next time: I review the final, hidden track on the album. Stay tuned!

1 comments:

Kate Weber said...

I really love the way you word things and the insight you have into all these songs. To so many I'm sure they just hear a good song, but you appreciate them all on a completely different level. It's so fun!

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers