Friday, November 5, 2010

Food Review - Crawfish Po'Boy

I said that my blog would involve a lot of reviews, thought I hadn't thought about writing a food review -- until this afternoon.

I'm still chugging away at Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits. For those of you who aren't too familiar with this food chain, it's a fried chicken joint, much like KFC. However, its style couldn't be any more different. Popeyes was founded in New Orleans as a means of having the wonder that is Louisiana cooking, but without the hassle of going to fancier restaurants. Since its opening in 1972, Popeyes has expanded its branches all over the United States and even across the seas. To this day, it remains true to its New Orleans heritage, serving not just fried chicken, but a variety of spicy dishes that were first made popular in the land of fine cooking.

Having been working for Popeyes for a little over two years now, I've experienced many lineups in our menu and seen new dishes being added to the mix. For the most part, the concept remains the same: fried chicken, sides, biscuits, and seafood. However, every so often the corporation brings back -- or sometimes creates -- flavorful dishes that exemplify the spirit of Louisiana cooking. This time, it's the crawfish Po'Boy sandwich.

First, you might be wondering just what the heck a Po'Boy is. Well, I'll just let the Popeyes website explain this delicious bit of New Orleans:


There you have it. A simply made sandwich with just the bare minimum -- in the case of Popeyes this includes lettuce, pickles, and a lot of meat stacked between. Note, however, that the picture of the sandwich seen above is NOT the crawfish Po'Boy. Po'Boys are made in a variety of ways at Popeyes -- chicken strip, shrimp, and even catfish. This month's special is centered around crawfish, shrimp like food that's marinated in famous Louisiana spices and fry cooked to perfection. When I took my lunch break at work today, I wanted to try out this sandwich, being both a fan of crawfish and a fan of the Po'Boy.

The result was amazingly delicious. I wish I had a picture to show just how delicious looking this sandwich really was, but I hadn't thought about picture taking for reviewing purposes until after the sandwich was long gone. Instead of using mayonnaise, the Crawfish Po'Boy uses horseradish as its sauce. It was an unusual thing, but it worked VERY well. The sauce gave it just that extra kick that makes me enjoy Popeyes food so much even after having been working there for so long.

With a side of famous New Orleans style red beans n' rice and a cup of our Sweet Iced Tea, this was one of the best meals I'd ever tasted at this place. I'm very much a fan of spicy food. I tend to dump loads of hot sauce on my steaks, burgers, and even my french fries just to satisfy my spicy needs. The food I had here needed absolutely nothing extra. All the spice was there and all the flavor was there.

Suffice to say that I recommend this sandwich to anyone. I know in this day and age fried food is looked down upon, but as the saying goes: "Everything in moderation." There's nothing wrong with indulging yourself a little bit. It might not be entirely healthy for you, but if flavor and good food for your money is what you're looking for, this kind of sandwich is definitely a good way to go.

3 comments:

Leigh said...

Actually, the original "poor boys" consisted of french bread, potato slices (fries) and gravy because meat was so expensive. They didn't start adding meat until later.

I'm a born and bred Louisianian, so I know my food ;)

Kevin said...

My apologies. I wasn't implying that the original Po'Boy had meat, only that it uses meat now.

Thanks for this though. :) I've always wondered what the history behind the Po'Boy was.

Leigh said...

No problem! People are always shocked when they realize people used fries instead of meat for some reason....I guess it's hard to imagine meat being too expensive. (For our generation, at least.)

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers