Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Art Piece #8 - Fruit Bowl

Wow, I haven't made one of these posts in nearly three months. I hadn't realized it was so long. Well, a large part of the reason for this is because I'm currently in the process of putting together some pieces for my animation portfolio. As I looked back through some of my more recent work, I came across one in particular I was really happy with.

Fruit Bowl. Maya. 2011.

I've been a longtime fan of hand-drawn 2D animation. For most of my life I had a certain dislike toward 3D work. That was, until some of the early films of the last decade changed my mind. Besides, 3D is slowly becoming the standard for animated films these days, so I suppose I should get with the program.

Autodesk Maya is a highly sophisticated CG Modeling, Texturing, and Rendering program that's worked its way into many of the major studios. Some of the animation you see in these more recent films -- Avatar, Tangled, and TRON, to name a few -- is the result of beautiful rendering thanks to talented animators and modelers using this program.

The above is no where close to what Maya is fully capable of doing. However, I love the result here, just on my personal level of skill. I'm relatively new to Maya and the 3D animation world -- despite my love of computers. Ironic, yes? The truly amazing thing about this program is the amount of objects you can create with only a few techniques. The apples and pear were created with a curvilinear tool, while the bananas and oranges were created with spheres. And even the texturing applications are truly outstanding. While I feel I could have done a better job at creating the texture of an orange, I'm pleased with this current result.

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers