Saturday, February 26, 2011

"All these shackles deceive just how long I've grieved"

Coheed and Cambria are one of the few bands I know of that sound really impressive live. Then again, I don't see too many bands in concert. More to the point, there are plenty of songs that I personally love hearing performed live than I do hearing them on the album. The penultimate song on Year of the Black Rainbow -- "When Skeletons Live" -- is one of those.




The opening drum pattern for this song is what manages to kick this song into gear. From that opening alone, I knew I was in for something. Or perhaps, I hoped I would be in for something. This song is another example of the type of progressive rock seen on such earlier songs as "Apollo I: The Writing Writer" or "Cuts Marked in the March of Men." But it also leaves a lot to be desired.

And it's why the fact that Coheed is so amazing and awesome playing their songs live. The energy created by the band and their fans is impressive to the point one could forget that there might be some things about Coheed's music they don't like. That's pretty much my feeling with "When Skeletons Live." Compared to other penultimate tracks such as "The Telling Truth" or "Neverender", this song just doesn't seem to fulfill the same feelings. What really helps to make up for it is the catchy and upbeat choruses:

"When skeletons live inside your closets, thick and thin,
You'll fear that no one will hear us sing our songs
The truth is relevant, but not for long
'Cause love is our downfall"

 Like the previous song, it's clear this song is about the concept. The lyrics spell out Pearl Hohenberger's final moments of life, told from the perspective of her husband. It also depicts Leonard's final plans before his own death at the hands of Mayo Deftinwolf, a plan in which Inferno would rescue Coheed and Cambria from House Atlantic and make a final assault on Ryan's base of operations (though, as this is a prequel, that obviously doesn't work).

And that's about all I have to say about this song. Good song, but I don't think it's nearly as fantastic as others thing it is. Up next, the final review in my Coheed and Cambria song review project. Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Take out a Subscription

Photobucket

Followers